Monday 18 April 2011

Modest is most definitely hottest.

"I choose to dress modestly because the way I dress is a reflection of who I am, and I am a daughter of God."

I love this video about a girl who decided to have a 'prom dress shop' in her house so that girls could find modest dresses for their prom.

Click to watch!!


This summer is definitely wedding season for me and it can be really frustrating to try and find something that is elegant and dainty without being immodest. As a Latter-Day Saint I choose to follow dress standards that shows respect to my body and to God. I think in England, however, it can be really hard to find clothes that are modest. Normal shopping conversations tend to go like this:

"I wish this had sleeves"
"It's just too short"
"It looked modest until I tried it on"

However, just because it is difficult to find modest clothing does not mean that we should just dress immodestly and blame the current fashion trends for the reason we find it difficult to buy modest clothes. At the moment, the fashion trend in England is very much in our favour as maxi dresses and midi-length skirts are the height of spring fashion and can be easily bought from nearly all high street stores, so why not stock up now on longer-length skirts and dresses? In that way, even if the dresses don't have sleeves, we can easily improvise by putting a bolero on top or a top underneath. 

Also, leggings are not modest. They are skin-tight and more often than not are totally see-through. I have had the misfortune of seeing many people walking around with their underwear glaring at me from underneath their leggings. Personally, I don't understand why they are such a big craze.  

A poster at BYU
As this poster says, leggings do not make short skirts or short shorts modest. I know it can be really difficult to find clothes that meet the dress standards we should have as Latter-Day Saints, but that doesn't mean we have to lower them at all. Even though it requires more time and more adjustments, the end result is definitely more worthwhile and like the girl Charity in the video mentioned - when we dress modestly we are more aware of who we really are.

After watching that video I have come away with a more renewed determination to live the standards in the Strength of Youth and to also be more conscious about choosing to dress modestly so that I can be an example to those around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment